Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Alphabet Soup Recipe

I looked for a long time for alphabet pasta to make some alphabet soup but could never find any. Finally I came across a #10 can of ABC soup mix in the food storage section in the front of the Macey's (in Spanish Fork). It has alphabet pasta with green and yellow split peas, lentils, barley and rice. It was $10 so I was hesitant but it makes 42 LARGE servings. It took me a few tries but I think I have found a recipe we really like and the girls just gobble it up. I though I would share.

4 servings of soup mix (1 1/2 cups)
1 to 2 cups raw, caned or freeze dried vegetables
1 can of tomato soup + 1 can of water or milk
1 can of tomato juice
4 slices of American cheese
1 cup of cooked meat cut into bite size pieces *optional
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse soup mix and add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 90 min. If using raw or freeze dried vegetables boil them with soup mix.  Rinse soup mix well again and drain all excess water. Add tomato soup, milk or water, tomato juice, canned vegetables, cooked meat, and salt and pepper. Heat on med heat until hot. Do not boil. When soup is hot add cheese and heat until melted.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy - I'll have to try it!!!! I have some soup mix.

    ReplyDelete