Thursday, March 3, 2011

Too many tears on the way to the store

The other day I decided to take the girls out for a walk. We planned to stop by the post office and the store and to take out the garbage on the way. The community only has large garbage cans about once a block and ours is most of the way down the bock on the other side of the street. Since Tom usually takes it out and he had been out of town there were a few bags and a box. I would have taken it out sooner but every time I thought about it Tom was supposedly coming home soon. Finlay it started to make the house smell so it had to go.

Our trip went something like this:

It wasn't too cold. Only about 6 degrees and the wind was only about 10 to 15 miles an hour. I decided to let Ellora walk instead of ride on my back like usual. That way I could deal with the garbage and she could get some exercise and sun.

You should have seen us trying to get to the road. It was hilarious! The girls kept wondering aimlessly over the mountains of snow occasionally crying or falling over and getting stuck on their backs like a bug. I had the trash that kept falling off of the sled and I had to take it a few different ways before I found a way down. I had to run between each of the girls because I couldn't get them both over the mountains at the same time and they would each fuss or cry when I would leave them. You need to be aware that our house is only about 30 or 40 feet from the road but whole ordeal of getting to the road probably took at least 10 minutes.

Once we were to the road we were off but since the garbage was on the sled I had to herd the girls along as we walked down the street. Finally they decided they wanted to sit on top of the garbage and ride. Out in the road the wind picked up and Ellora decided she didn't like the wind in her face at all. So she cried on and off the rest of the time we were out.

We never made it to the post office which is good because I guess it was closed. When we got to the store a lady asked if I needed help and suggested it was too cold for my girls. She then picked up Chalyse and began carrying her away from me and into the store. You can imagine what happened next; Chalyse thought she was being kidnapped and began screaming and crying. By the time we got inside I had two screaming kids. There were several ladies visiting inside the door and they started saying that my girls were getting frostbite and we too cold. Trust me, they were not one bit frost bitten and were plenty warm. Sometimes I wonder if people say things like that to make you look stupid. They think that because we are not from around here we don't know anything about the cold.

Anyway...I was glad that we went. It gave us something to do and at least we got out of the house.

Check out my sister-in-laws recent post "Why?" She does a great job on her blog in capturing the joy in moments like these.

3 comments:

  1. Days like that are so much better when they're over! I just love hearing about your life up there. Your post made me laugh. I wish we lived closer! -- or you lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were BOTH closer...to ME!!!!! Love you!!! Can't wait to see you all!!

    ReplyDelete