Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where's My Cape?

Every time we fly I see at least one mother who is traveling alone with two young children. I always think to myself "Wouldn't that be horrible? I'm so glad that Tom is here. It is so easier with two parents." Hold that thought while I tell you a story.

Tom and I have decided to go back to Utah for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas. We were feeling apprehensive about going for Christmas for a few reasons like the fact that would cost around twice the amount than it is going to, to just do Thanksgiving instead. We considered not coming back at all until summer but there were a few good reasons against that. We need to buy some more groceries, and we have several Christmas presents that we have bought that are waiting in storage that we wouldn't feel good about shipping. Also I don't know if we could go that long without getting out of the village; literally we might go crazy. Not to mention the Grandmas wouldn't hear of it I'm sure. After weighing the pro and cons we have decided that Thanksgiving will work out perfectly. When I went on to book the tickets I found that traveling right before or right after the holiday is much more expensive. We also wanted to make our trip worth it so after studying our ticket options I decided that it would be best if we left a well before Thanksgiving and got home a week or so after it. This meant of course that Tom had to ask for several days off...

The district didn't go for it. They said he had to either choose  the days before the holiday or the days after. "Oh, no!" I thought, "I don't want to cut the trip that short and there is not way we can come back up separate with all of the luggage we are planning on bringing back with us."

Then Tom pointed out, "Why don't you just leave earlier and we can still come back together?" It was a great idea but keep in mind he has to teach through Wednesday not just Tuesday like most Utah districts and it often can take somewhere around 24 hours to get there. This would mean that Tom would basically miss all of Thanksgiving.

"I suppose that wouldn't be the end of the word," I thought but lo and behold somehow we managed to find ourselves a small miracle Tom will travel all night and get in at around 7 in the morning Thanksgiving day. We have been very blessed and are so excited to spend Thanksgiving with many of the ones we love (assuming the weather permits.)

So, this brings me back to the beginning of my story and my one big worry: traveling alone, all night with two little ones. I just have to tell myself that I can do it. I know the airports well and the girls are seasoned travelers. I bought a new double stroller. Our old one is pretty much dead, not to mention it takes way too much to fold up. It is actually a bike trailer and you have to remove the handle and weeks before folding it. Haha... I guess I wouldn't have to worry about the handle though; it has broken off for good. Anyway there is no way I am traveling with that so I found a cheap double stroller that can actually be shipped to the village and the shipping was free. I love amazon.com! With my new double stroller and as little luggage as I can manage I think I can handle this great task. I am even a little excited to prove to myself that I can do it. I don't get to do daring things very often.

4 comments:

  1. Yay I cant wait! Hopefully Dextin isn't too big by then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to see you guys!!! That's so soon! So what day exactly will you be getting here with the girlies? Poor Tom is going to be so tired when we force him to play football with us thanksgiving day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart!!! You can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are coming! YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete